Born in Szczecin in 1870, Max Berg was a German architect and urban planner. It is thanks to his determination and vision that we owe the most characteristic Wroclaw building - Hala Stulecia - the only building in Wrocław that has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Fascinated by modernism and skyscrapers, Berg was incredibly bold in his visions as it was then. In the years 1909 - 1924 he was a building consultant in the city of Wrocław bravely planning and changing the city. To this day, several buildings of his authorship have been preserved, including: his house at Mikołaja Kopernika street, former children's hospital at Hoene-Wroński street, a cemetery chapel in Osobowice or a former municipal bathhouse, and today a tenement house in which our hostel is located. Now you already know where the name comes from!
Interestingly, Max Berg even got his own Wroclaw’s dwarf. In front of the house at Mikołaja Kopernika street, where the architect lived, Archimax stood in his hands holding the design play of today's Hala Stulecia.